Square Pegs


A while ago, we had some extra money in our medical savings account which needed to be spent. I was feeling a little bold, so I picked my first pair of designer "Bebe" glasses. I was thrilled. I usually don't do extravagant things like that. So, it was fun. When I walked in the store to pick up my frames, I hopped to the counter to see my new, snazzy glasses. As I pulled out the "couture", I was stunned by how far my pathetic prescription lenses jutted past the frame. Did I mention I am unable to see the big "E"? Suddenly it seemed like a Prada bag was being stuffed with pork rinds. It dimmed the effect. Deflated, I tried them on my face. As I turned to the side, I felt all I could see were those HUGE lenses.  I was transported to those sad days when I would bring a novel to dances so I had company during the slow numbers.  Now, it may seem like an exaggeration to you. But, don't you have something that still kind of lingers from fourteen?
Last night, I was in hurry to get somewhere. I shoved my massive hair in a head-band and put on my enormous glasses.  As I walked to my car with a friend, I thought of our differences.  She was a cheerleader-- even in College! She is always hip, cool and put-together.  I thought to myself, "Wow! She wouldn't have known me in high-school."  I can really look at this in two ways.  Isn't it great to grow-up?  Or, maybe high-school wasn't as bad as it felt to me.  (Okay, so I really can't ignore the fact I did really read books at dances. But, maybe I needed more courage then.)

Comments

April said…
I think everyone feels like an outsider in Junior High and High School. I always thought I had low self esteem and carried that constant sick feeling in my stomach that everyone else had it together and knew what they were doing while I was “faking” it.
Now that I have high self esteem and it has been enough time for the wounds to heal, I look back and realize EVERYONE felt the same way I did. I was lucky enough to still have enjoyed the time that I was there.
So I think it is both great to grow up and high school wasn’t just bad for you. The funny thing is … you taking a book to dances in high school makes you the cool adult you are today. Someone we all want to be around.
mak-daddy said…
i even remember books at dances...yes, you were my sister. thought maybe i didn't want to admit it always :)..

prada with pork rinds...too funny. but if you wore these at the family reunion, i didn't notice at all!
Scott-n-Allison said…
Yes...it's good to grow up. A few weeks ago a guy from high school showed up unexpectedly on our door step. He'd googled us, found our house and spent the next 3 hours in our living room laughing and talking. This is the third time that he's tracked us down since BYU.

Pay no mind that he wouldn't say 2 words to me for the 18 YEARS WE LIVED IN THE SAME WARD!!!!! Ugh!

Yup...so glad that things change and our horizons broaden.

I'm sure you look FANTASTIC in the glasses...what a fun way to treat yourself!
mindy said…
Ahhh, high school. When I got together with friends from high school last month, I could literally feel the points dropping from my IQ...we did the silliest/stupidest things all week. I remembered why I really didn't have my husband come along to these reunions---he definately wouldn't have liked me (and how I acted in high school)...my teenage daughter tagged along as we went to t.p a friend's house and she gasped, "Mom! You would never let me do any of these things at home!" She was right, but somehow, being with friends from high school made it okay? Thank goodness, we never have to go back to high school! It was good to see you last month!
Katydid said…
It was great seeing you Mindy :) You have grown-up in the best possible way. You are an amazing mom and yet you still so FUN.
Julie said…
Kate you are not alone. Jenny and my lenses on our glasses are huge too. Not to stress- at least they were not bifocals!!! Ohh high school, are we so happy to not be there. Now I am there in spirit with my kids, and can I say that is really harder.
Carolyn said…
I think you had a lot of courage then. I remember you telling me that one of those books you read during a dance was Poltergeist. That movie freaked me out, and I thought you were very brave to read it. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence