Secret

It doesn't seem kosher to add a political note to my current sphere of commentary. It seems LDS women stay in the family, humor and hobbies arena. What makes me nervous to comment on politics, is I am not as informed as I would like to be. I don't follow all of the specific newspapers or talkshows and programs. I don't have the time or motivation (if I were not being honest). I kind of skim and dip down and grab a bit of information. Therefore, this makes me unable to clearly explain things or provide support for all of my positions. That would be my first secret.
When I am with a number of friends, whom I love, I have realized one can be drastically different in politics and yet really have the same values and beliefs. Strange as it seems, it can work. Let's accept that although I have may have personally conservative moral values, this can still steer me in a different voting direction. When I voted for John Kerry, I felt let down by the end. I don't want to feel that way again. So...here we go.
Many months ago, I wanted to be very clear about my voting. When the primaries started, I snipped out the political stands from each party's candidate and folded their names to the other side. I created a matrix of platforms and awarded points for support and ideas. I added the totals and came to a tie. Thereafter, I read, I thought and picked my candidate. I was particularly moved by this. I felt a hope/energy/excitement that I have not felt in a long time. By the time I voted for Barack Obama, I was moved at the opportunity to make that vote.  After voting for him, I was very emotional as I reflected on the historic event which was taking place.  You can say I was manipulated by popular media. Remember, I did a blind point test and read an early book of his before I really dipped in media.
Months later, I have watched the main speakers in BOTH conventions. I am getting worried about the sense that Obama is a messiah of sorts. I am worried about this sense of a new world. I am worried about it all crashing down. I fear being let down again. Yet, when I heard him speak, I felt the familiar sense of hope; with some restraint. I don't know what kind of response this will get. (either nothing or HOW can you support than man?) I'm not really looking for validation--just talking here. It really comes down to the human story of having ebullient hope and getting scared of being dropped again.

Comments

Joanna said…
Wow! That is almost exactly how I feel this time around. I am worried about the "idol worship" part of Obama's campaign as well, but I still feel that he will get my vote. I am so split between the candidates on various issues, but I guess for me it just came down to who I thought was focusing on what I thought was more important this time around, as I don't really agree on everything for either one.

You know my favorite part, though? I love that not only is this a historical election either way, but that each side has such excitement on their side and it seems like everyone is getting involved, but not with the same sense of unreasonable hatred of the other side this time around (or at least it hasn't started yet). Do you know what I mean?

Anyway, I know I wrote a novel, but I pretty much just wanted to say "I hear ya!".

Now I must go back to work as the Orange County Heart Walk is taking over my life! :)
Scott-n-Allison said…
I like that you pointed out that we can feel differently about politics and still hold fast to the same values...I have always loved James Faust but was SHOCKED to find out he was a Democrat. (Shame on narrow minded me.)

I don't want to understate the power of one, but sometimes I think we forget that the president is just one part of a very large government organization and you're right...we put all the hope AND blame on that one person without remembering all the other factors involved.

The most important thing is that you vote your conscience and then continue to work and live to make this world and our country a better place.

It will be so interesting to see what November brings.
Unknown said…
Depends on the day for me. Some days I tell Ryan "I'm just not going to vote". As terrible as this sounds, I'm not totally sold on either side. I want to be, but just can't get there for some reason.
And yes, I too don't feel as educated on the issues as I should be, so mostly I keep my confusion to myself!
Julie said…
I think that making the choice and voting is important. One person can make a difference. I read a book about Sarah Palin this summer. What an amazing woman! She is one person who is making a difference. She even makes McCain look good.

I like Sen. Obama's presence. However, if he wins, it will be very detrimental to our pocketbook. The national debt with increase and that burden will be left to our children>
Carolyn said…
I agree with your friend Joanna that it's amazing how this election has so many people interested and involved. I watched the key speakers at both conventions with my husband, and both my teenage sons joined us for most of it. When I asked my 16-year-old if he was watching for a school assignment, he said No. He just wanted to see what was going on. He said two of his friends are also following the election quite closely. (I suspect that part of it is that they like to be in-the-know when they watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report...but at least they aren't getting all of their news from Comedy Central)

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence