Try it


I suffer from mild depression in the winter.  Just when I think I am going to not make it, a sunny day will give me a boost for a couple weeks.  So, as the winter and dark days approach, I realize the shadows are starting to creep into my psyche.  I become more anxious and less tolerant of failings in myself/others.  Today was a brilliant blue sky with bright sunshine.  I ran through the leaves with their crisp sound.  They had that "fall leaf"  smell that is a mix of musty-clean.  (I know that doesn't make sense.)  I lifted my head up to the sky and tried to absorb the light with its wonderful life.  

If you are thinking ugg my life is hard lately, "I can't do this", my job sucks, I think I am going crazy...(or is that me ?) , go outside, run through the leaves, absorb light and breathe.  Go outside during lunch, go out during Saturday, take the kids on a walk, whatever.  It helps me to remember that light is there. Well, eventually the light comes.

What do you do to "bring it down" or find calm?

Comments

April said…
The hardest and easiest thing to do for me when I am feeling down is service. Service for not just my family, but those who sometimes feel just out of reach.
You bring some light to me, so keep shining girl!

p.s. Maybe only uplifting books for the winter. A "feel good" novel sounds about right.
fabulous picture! I read a cool poster about making summer last all year--picnic on the floor, read a fun novel, etc. But nothing replaces sunlight!
: ) Lisa
Julie said…
Kate- I have had this too. After reading this post, I realized how much better living in Texas has been for me. I love the winters down here- the summers are so great though.

I love the picture! I think you are on the right path. Look for the good things. Also, get some light therapy in the winter before you get really depressed. Good luck!
mak-daddy said…
and now you know why i struggled so much in portland. just tonight we looked at family slides from back in the day, reminisced so much about life there. it was truly a grand place. but, i still worry about moving back because of the lack of sunlight throughout the year. it wrecked havoc on my psychic. anyway, you deal one day at a time. amazingly beautiful though, till this day i'm amazed.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence