Bicycle


We have had this grand goal of being more green.  Hence, we tried to go no car for a week this summer.  It failed after two days.  Biking with all of the kids in 101 degree heat did not go well.  Fall hit,  and I wanted to try again.  We were on day 3 of our no car pursuit.  I loaded the kids, sans cell phone and rushed to pre-school.  We were late and I was pedaling like a woman possessed.  (Yes, have I foreshadowed this enough?)  I bounced over the tracks and the trailer caught the edge of a pole.  No, of course the kids were not hurt.  The trailer slowly wobbled and squeaked.  I was only a half-mile away from my goal.  As I tried to slam the wheel back into place, a kindly older man helped me lift the cart and suggested a rock.   A few bashes later, we were on our late way.   
After I picked IJ up from pre-school, I reminded myself to slow down and enjoy the day.  We took a bad brush with a prickly bush and we were done for.  Having no phone, duh, I had to figure it out alone.  I tried to fix it with my instant CO2 pump.  It got me 2 blocks.  I huffed it home enjoying the sweaty pulse of my thighs.  Once home, I tried to unbash the tire to repair the tube.  My 19-month-old picked it up and took it for a walk.  I still can't find it.  So, no, day 4 is not going to happen. Happily, I learned some lessons:
  • People are still  kind everywhere.  Give them a chance.
  • It is not easy being green.
  • September is one of the most glorious months of the year. Get outside. (well unless you are in a hurricane right now.)
  • Bring a cell phone.  How many times do I have to learn that?
  • Stop rushing around everywhere.  Life is better on the slow.

Comments

mindy said…
Three days is still impressive! We walked to the library ONCE this summer, and by the time we made it home with our stack of books, it wasn't pretty. Things like, "that was the dumbest idea ever," were being said and that was just by me...So I take my hat off to your noble attempts to being green---kermit would be proud---and so should you :)
Scott-n-Allison said…
I drive a ginormous Yukon XL, but I can make it a whole month on one tank of gas. That usually means not going places or walking the 10, YES TEN, minutes to school when I volunteer.

Knowing I can do it makes me feel quilty when I have to fill up twice in a month.

Good for you! You are my hero!

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence