Have I gone soft???

Well, okay, my arms have always been soft.  But,  today while driving my two littlest ones, I was forced to examine my inner mojo.  Knowing I had to make a turn, I began signaling three blocks ahead of the turn.  For the life of me, I couldn't get in.  So, I wondered if the driver hadn't realized I actually needed to switch lanes.  I moved closer to the lane. Nope. I kept looking and trying, noticing the car carefully keeping pace to leave not quite enough room. Who does that, I thought? The car had no cars behind it.  I gave the driver a "what-the-hey-look" in one last attempt to get in the lane. Yup, you guessed it, I got "the bird"; the long, skinny, finger of a bitter middle-aged man showing me who was boss. Ho-ho-ho.  I felt so bad. It felt so mean. I started questioning my driving. Maybe, it would have been better if I had braked and blocked my WHOLE lane to get in after. Was I an idiot?  

However, I have lived right by this intersection for five years.  My driving hasn't altered.  I had never had a problem like this before.  Yet, I felt crummy.  As I thought back on my teaching years, it struck me that when a 17-year-old screamed "You F-ing Ho!" to me, I was plain old mad.  It happened more than once to me and I just got in their face.  What has happened? Oy, is this a sign that suburbia has finally gotten to me?  Am I middle-aged?  Am I soft now? Have I become that spastic SUV with kids in tow? Have I lost my street cred or what?  Or, did I just really deserve that tall white bird? 

It's okay.  Just tell me.  Dude, you need driving lessons. 

Comments

M+J=K3+E said…
I'm impressed you didn't run him down or give the bird back. I would have thought twice about doing that myself but having two kiddos in the car really puts a damper on things you can do. Don't worry-you don't need driving lessons, that man so does!
ruth said…
We've noticed this is typical of utah driving. As a generalization don't use your blinker and just force your way in. otherwise if they know you want to get over, they will never let you in. a lot of drivers here hate to have anyone in front of them. So not the case in Seattle where it is a slow contest and a see who can let the most people in.
mindy said…
Some people are just MEAN---you have to try to not let them get you down. Don't worry, you still have it going on:)
Unknown said…
2 things-first people in utah really are inconsiderate drivers, why? who knows. The first week here I drove in wonder around NC streets where everyone was playing nice. Second-a policeman yelled at me this week to stop!!!!! I was distracted showing my kids the pretty flashing lights and wrecked truck, etc. I felt bad too. Like a kid who gets in trouble at school.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence