Why men don't like ballet



The usual rush and pull of the holidays has gone.  I am still looking back at some of the lessons we learned. The combination of daughter in ballet and a new PBS premier of Nutcracker created the perfect date. We waited for a lull in the holidays to view the recording. Much later, as we sat there watching the Nutcracker prince defend himself against the mouse king, my daughter whispered to me: "It's kind of weird,that guy, I can't watch it."  I have always tried to demonstrate my comfortability with the human body. I don't want my kids to have any hang-ups.  So, I tried to explain about the typical costume of a male dancer. His outfit was compared to a football players uniform, of course. However, that Nutcracker seemed enhanced. He was beyond the normal of ballet.  
Sheesh, as the big screen lit up the room, I had a hard time looking at it as well.  Those tights just display everything for gosh sakes.  Why does each part need to be so clearly exposed? Why can't they wear cute breeches?  Must I have such a clear concept of what he looks like straight out of the shower? When a male dancer would leap, those tights exposed his well-muscled tush; yeah right down to the post-jump quivering recovery. I found myself taking uncomfortable side glances. Instead of celebrating the beauty of the human body, I suddenly got it.  Men feel exposed when watching ballet.  One of their brothers is out there and loving it. Yet, it is just too much for the average male, or child and mom trying to watch it on the big screen. (Well, the women were as beautiful as ever and we danced with the snowflakes.)

Comments

mindy said…
Out of the mouth of babes---I couldn't have said it better myself. I love it, it's so true. I wonder if we sent around a petition, if they would consider breeches a possibility? probably not. It's a good idea, though.
Umbrella said…
Interesting. I've never been a fan either, but I never chalked it up to some sort of repressed homophobia. Nice blog.
Anonymous said…
How funny! Graham is in the stage where he is constantly making "codpieces" for himself out of various household items. I don't think he's our dancer though ...
Scott-n-Allison said…
Seems like a super big reason NOT to have a projector in the house. Some things just don't need to be enhanced. :)
Erin said…
They don't call it the Nutcracker for nothing!

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence