A new world order



Don't be silly. I am not talking religion here.  I'm talking football....the other religion.  I was raised in Nebraska.  So, I guess those are the same.  I was raised in a cultish fashion where football was taught young and we DID believe.  However, Nebraska has had a rough ride for the last ten years. I still try to watch and support them.  My husband's following of Utah football has also been supported by me.  In my good natured fashion, I thought it would never be a problem.  They wore red and "hey, I do like football."   Yet, in my smug, private world I did believe in the superiority of southern/midwestern football. 
 Okay, here is where you need to come closer.  I will whisper it to you.  In my twisted mind of better football days, I wanted Alabama to kick Utah's butt. It would somehow reaffirm the strength of BCS conferences. And somehow, this would show me Nebraska would rise again. I waited for the moans of defeat from the basement.  They never came.  Utah was not paralyzed by the pressure.  Instead, it seems this smaller conference may have some claim to a new football order.
Rationally, I realize a playoff system would be better.  But, somehow I only imagined  this with the power conferences of elite football.  Yes, you see I am a football elitist.  Most of you reading this will probably not care. I just feel a little bad.  I completely expect my husband to cheer for Nebraska.  But, today, I am a little stunned.  There may be a whole new world of football out there for me. They are undefeated. They soundly beat an old-school football team.  So, ummm...Go Utes? 

Comments

Carolyn said…
We have both former Cougars and former Utes in our clan, so I was happy to cheer for the Utes against Alabama. I am usually a 4th quarter fan and just watch the exciting last 2 minutes of the games my husband and kids are watching. But yesterday's game had such a stunning beginning, it hooked me the whole way through. I haven't watched that much of a college game in years. Yes, Go Utes!
April said…
WHAT!?!!!! No you ARE NOT a UTAH fan. If a small part of you felt like you wanted and thought that Nabraska should win you are not a fan. This has been a great year for Utah and that game was one for the history books. We did what needed to be done. You feel a little bad? You should feel REALLY bad. No excuses.
mak-daddy said…
well kate, it was an surprising win. yet one win does not make a team, or dynasty. logically, i too think we need a playoff. but honestly, i fear if/when that might happen, it will likely reinforce the elite conferences, with multiple teams advancing, and the other conferences being stuck in the cold. sure, there will be the '08 Utes, and the '07 Boise St.'s, but the Oklahoma's and Texas' and Ohio States, and Florida's and USC's and well, I have to say it, Nebraska's will ALWAYS be the big boys. Each has it season of down, but they always rise again, and always will. all the rest will have a brief, brilliant burn, then die ignominiously.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence