Blame it on the mane


I just got a new haircut. I looked awesome. It was blown-out and gorgeous. I then washed it. It had more grey than I ever remember. It didn't seem perky, curly or divine. It was frizzy and sad--just one more thing to poke me in the butt and scream "You are 40, HA!". Not only is the baby weight lingering. I have that soft middle, lady-with-a-brood-but-not-pregnant-look. I would like to say that this does not get to me. I would like to think of the women who have had greater struggles. Yet, I just felt crumpled inside. During this pathetic melancholy, I was cleaning and found some old photo albums. Guess what? I had frizzy, not so curly not so awesome hair. In addition, I had that great bag look of the 80s. Who knew what kind of body lurked in there? I guess I realized the outcome is the same as it was over fifteen years ago. So what if inside my head, I see myself like I am the mermaid Ariel? (bright red curly hair with a charming personality!) Most of my pictures are generally unchanged over more than a decade. I guess I get a dye job, get off my butt and do something to help someone else.

Comments

Unknown said…
Is that picture really your hair?!!!I so feel your pain. Took a pic Sunday am before church to update my FB profile and felt discouraged for the next few hours about how old and tired I look. How is that for vain? And I bet my belly is bigger then yours. I am confused about the Ariel reference? Is the dye too bright? And if so, have you tried a semi permanent instead of a permanent one? Just an idea, born of experience. Love ya and your amazing hair.
Katydid said…
Not my hair in the pic. I used to think my hair was like Ariel--in the Little Mermaid. I am thinking I was smoking something!
Scott-n-Allison said…
My hair, my weight, my acne, my not brown eyes, my whiskers...and much more have monopolized too much of my life. And yet I just can't seem to let go...or find a way to make it all what I want it to be.

Just avoid mirrors and cameras. Sometimes denial is the only way to go!
J-E said…
We think you're cute. Plus, I am a sister leaving a comment--proof of having stalked your blog. I told you I did. :)
Laurie said…
I'm still trying to figure out how I ended up middle aged. I don't feel middle aged until I look at the wrinkles under my eyes (I've been coloring away the gray since I was in college) and realize how tired I am all the time. I spend a lot of time at work in a brand new early twenty something teacher's room. When did that stop being me? I really realized I am middle aged one day when I was thinking about how good of a teacher he is at such a young age. Then I realized with horror at how old I must seem to him. I try to pretend I don't look forty, but the more nights I go without enough sleep, the older I look and feel. I guess it turns out that growing up my parents weren't old because of their age, they were old because us kids wore them out.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence