Serenity Sometimes is Now

I actually had a few perfect moments last week.  It would be a slap to the universe if I didn't acknowledge them.  I took my children and one extra neighbor to the park which can sometimes be a lot of walking, running and watching.  However, I found myself sitting against a tree holding my youngest while the older ones played.  My littlest curled into me as we watched the others. The sky was bright blue, the sun was just right and I sat there for an entire five minutes. It really was perfect.
Later that week, I went to see my parents for the weekend.  I finally have hit that point where I have rebalanced the mind set between my parents are perfect and my parents are so "wrong". Now, they are loving people who do they best they can.  I enjoy their company in a way I couldn't when I was younger. I am more okay with their quirks and individual ways. There are many simple changes that come with aging.  Hooray I say. 
When I visit my parents for the weekend, it usually involves an early morning long run with my father.  The night before our run, we negotiated a time of 6:40 am for our start. I awoke to sunshine and birds singing. Yes--birds singing! As I looked upon my sleeping husband's face, I felt contentment. We are in a good flow of marriage where communication is generally good and humor is generous.  I felt gratitude before I got out of bed. 
  Thereafter, I laced my shoes in the early sunlight to meet my dad downstairs. My dad happily trotted along the trail as we chatted about life and the scenery.  How many people can do a challenging course with a 73 year old man? Near the end, we reached a crest which looked out upon a green valley.  Spectacular!  What an amazing start of the day.  I loved watching my father lead the way as he jumped rocks and talked to the animals.  Surely, he was in his true element.  I was happy to be there and share in it.  
I don't want to just dwell on worries or complaints.  One really can have few moments of joy and perfection.

Comments

Serenity Rachel said…
So flattered your post is all about me!:-)
Carolyn said…
This was a lovely post, KatyDid. It is June 1st, the start of a new month and a new summer, and I have been trying to "reboot" my life a bit (waking earlier, more exercise, less junk food, less junk media). From reading your post, I know I need to add "more gratitude" to the mix.
Sarah said…
what a lovely picture you paint. hooray for the good times!
Unknown said…
Big huge yeah from me!!!! Love ya-Jen
Scott-n-Allison said…
Good for you for recognizing the little bits of daily peace and perfection...I think that's the secret!

You are so wise... :)
mak-daddy said…
cute. dad is amazing i think. just don't tell him i said so :P

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence