Talk to the hand


My daughter and I went to the ballet to see Romeo and Juliet. As I watched the ballerina, I was reminded of how much I had wanted to be a dancer when I was younger. Sadly, I couldn't jump rope without killing myself. Jumping Jacks were undoable. I wondered which way was it? Did the clear lack of coordination stop me from ballet? Or, could have ballet been the teacher to create more grace on my part? Yes, I was the kid in gym no one wanted on their team. Don't act surprised now.
As I watched her hands/fingers help her dance, they told a beautiful story. They expressed: gratitude, delight, sorrow, regret, joy, beauty, longing and pain. Do you know what my hands can say? They can say stop that, shut-up, you are bugging me, or I'll give you something to cry about. Compare those two lists. Hmmmm. Do you think I could increase my vocabulary? Maybe if I knew how to dance, I would have nicer things to say.

Comments

Scott-n-Allison said…
Remember that post you did about watching men doing ballet on the big screen? Maybe that's why you quit...too much up close with things that are better left at a distance. :)
Erin said…
That must be why I am so nice. HA
L said…
You have an extensive vocabulary, even without the use of your middle finger.

And if it's any consolation, I was "dancing" at my husbands b-day party Monday and he accused me of having a seizure. No grace and elegance here either.
lisa

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence