I always find myself rushing about each day. Each second seems to count as I rush off to the next thing. One of my typical "mom mornings" found me in my usual spot. "Hurry, Hurry, get those shoes on, get that jacket...." I got one on the bus, one to preschool, dropped one off to a rec day care and hurried to my forty minute exercise break. I jumped in the pool to quickly get my stress reducing routine done. An older woman I know from church saw me and swam over to say hi. She told me she liked going to the pool because it got it her out of the house and gave her something to do. Wow. Same location, same time and same activity. Yet, we were here for such different reasons. I kept thinking about it as I swam. 
I want to slow down and give things/people their space. I want to stop walking ahead of my children. I know you do it. Or, am I really that mean? I want to listen to their stories.  I want to not regret staying home/miss my former career girl life. I want to find what is good about right now.  I want to enjoy the hectic nature of my life and thrive. I want to stop surfing the internet while talking to people I love on the phone. (once again do I need help?)  I would like to stop fretting about small and think themes.  I want to look people in the eyes instead of thinking ahead to the next thing.  I want to give the person and place I am right NOW its proper appreciation. I don't want to be a melancholic soul. But, before I realize, I could be a quiet widow swimming in a pool.

Comments

mindy said…
I think it's one of those things that take a lifetime to figure out...Maybe that's why only older people seem to be content and patient. I always envy them for those qualities.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence