Voices Carry

I attended the funeral for a friend's mother yesterday. I was so moved by the deep love her children had for her. The stories were tender and funny as they shared personal events. Although the mother was described as being gentle, she was also a firm teacher. She didn't yell, she had humor and kindness. As I listened, I was not , as is typical of myself, let down that I would never be that kind of mom. Instead, I thought, "I could stop yelling. I could be that moderate mom who teaches by example. Heck, my kids are young enough they probably won't even remember me yelling if I stop right now!" As the dream was building in my head, I didn't feel disheartened. I felt uplifted; excited for change. My daydream stopped as my seven-year-old tugged on my sleeve. "Mom, you could probably work on the yelling."

So, honesty apparently runs in my family. But, it has been one whole day and I am going to at least work on making the spaces between yelling longer!

Comments

awesome insights. My Mom is visiting right now and she always says we are more soft spoken than her but i don't ever remember her yelling at all so there's definitely hope.
Mary Morris said…
Too funny! And I have yelling moments, too. But--Eliza and Sam are still young enough to forget! I have just a narrow gap of opportunity to be that mom. (yeah, right)
Unknown said…
I love it. It is easy to get disheartend by other amazing moms. I seem to anyway. I think my kids would like me to work on that goal as well.
p.s. glad you found me!
Julie said…
Maybe the yelling is a Baird thing Kate. I should work on it too. My kids yell too. I am more mellow than I used to be and that is a good thing. Now that I have teenagers, they yell and I listen.

I should be more like my mom. She is softspoken. I had a great example growing up, but I haven't always lived up to her. I needed this. I will do better.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence