Shake the Disease


I have been gone for a while. I was gone trying to live an alternative lifestyle. I live in a community where all of the homes seem to be clean and well decorated. The women are cute and crafts abound. So, I attempted to really clean my house for a week. I had guests coming and a desire to feel more together. Oh, I scrubbed, wiped, mopped, dusted, vacuumed and worked. I was so tired! I felt like all I did was battle every day. In this city, it seems as if many of the women have the just right house, hair, clothes and kids with perfect hair. I just get worn-out from it. I am not that girl. I will probably never find the time/desire to paint my house all cute. I will probably still have to fight the urge to kick it in my sweats. I don't think I am ever going to have each room with a theme or produce items which hang on my walls and declare my life beliefs. I don't really like crafts. I don't do my hair and I prefer my kids to dress themselves. This obviously produces a mix of plaids, patterns, dots and stripes. And I don't do this to make a statement. No, let's face it, I'm lazy!!! However, when I see the homes or kids in all of their splendor, I whisper under my breath, maybe I can do this. It all looks so put-together. It all looks so shiny and spiffy. This place makes feel like I don't quite fit in the package. But, I do like looking at it. I just can't do it myself. It makes me feel as if the package is never going to fit me. Sometimes I feel like doing a mini-rebellion; but what would that look like?

Comments

Anonymous said…
So...are they cute sweats? If they are, no worries. Plus, your hair looks better not done then mine so I still think you rock! :) Jen Hardy
Julie said…
I am a girl just like you! My house looks perfect when I pay someone else to do it. I would rather grab my camera and go shoot pictures!

Maybe it is in the genes- no I guess that isn't it since Jenny keeps a beautiful house.
Blondie said…
I have moments in which I am "that girl," but those moments are generally fleeting.
For the most part I consider myself to be craft-impaired.
I hope Julie is right and we can blame it on our genetics!
Mary Morris said…
By the way, I DID notice your house was very nice when we visited. But it's never out of control like you make it sound. And, you mow the lawn (I don't). You also seem to always have a homecooked meal for dinner--that's hardly lazy. :) Do you ever miss a shower because of all the craziness and try to make yourself feel good about it by telling yourself that you're conserving water and going a little green? I have!
Unknown said…
Kate your kids will thank you for the freedom and for your time that you didn't spend cleaning. Mo germs Mo better.

Dr Lonsdale and loving wife

(meaning i love you kate--you rock! L)
Did we tell you there is apple on our ceiling right now?
Laurie said…
Kate, I don't have kids yet and my house isn't as clean as it should be. I'm only cleaning up after a husband and two dogs. I skip showers some days just because I'm lazy...unless I exercise and get all sweaty. Even then, I go 3 or 4 days without washing my hair sometimes...lucky for me it doesn't ever get greasy, but I'd probably just don a hat. No crafts hang on my walls and the only thing that is homemade by me is a quilt for my husband...he didn't even believe I made it when he opened it for Christmas. My mom is a great seamstress, but she didn't seem to pass it along to me. I don't even cook very often.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence