Moment of truth

Every family creates identities for each member. Whether you want to or not, it seems to happen.  It can be as simple as the athlete, artist or brain. But what happens when you have eleven children?  The details get more specific.   My family covered all the places: obedient eldest,  singer, pianist, flutist, dancer/singer, uber-brain, uber-popular, super-runner, rebel and so forth.  What about the child who doesn't do any of these things?  And you are not able to combine any of these, like a super combo of a theater major, what do you do?    I can do some of these things. I do them only well enough to appreciate who does it better.  Hence, I was not THE designated go-to-person for that area of speciality.  Because there are so many of us, it was easier for people to sort us into these categories.  Yes, we could discuss how everyone is an individual and that isn't fair, but let's be honest.  People do it.   My sister had a friend over, who was trying to sort out all the kids.  Trust me, it can be complicated. What was my job?  Yup. The "untalented one".   I have been thinking about that today and I am working on a response to that theory.  Hmmm, still thinking. 

 (Note to family members: these are old labels and I'm sure they have expanded more as we have matured!)

Comments

Joanna said…
We definitely have the labels going on as well, although many of them become these long and overly-hyphenated strings of words like the overly-quirky-always-late-will never-admit-fault one, or the mother-like-martyr-always-good-for-a-guilt-trip-one. Oh, and by the way, who is this new friend that your sister (I will assume it's Jen)brought over? Is my position being usurped? Perhaps I need to move back to recover lost territory in the Sneddon family...haha.
Katydid said…
A friend from long ago. As long as you casually use words like usurped, I guarantee Jenny will remain your best friend.
Mary Morris said…
I thought you were the "Funny One" or the "Entertainer" Or maybe the "Loud one?" Don't pretend like you are ever overlooked in a sea of eleven children--you are one of the stand-outs, for sure.
J-E said…
I agree with Mary. My vote would be for "The Liberal," but in our family it was always said with a certain demonic quality.
Blondie said…
My dad always called you "the mouth." And knowing him, that could be considered a term of endearment.
He always had a soft spot in his heart for you!
Anonymous said…
I've briefly met 7 or so Sneddons, and Mary is the only one who might (?) remember my name. So I have no idea what labels your family may have for you. But we discussed my thoughts on labels briefly yesterday. They limit. You are better off with them ... or at least to internalizing them.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence