A Hard Promise to Keep

After watching one of those movies where no one stands up for the weak, I promised myself that I knew enough to not be part of the herd.  I promised myself I would be courageous for my beliefs and to look out for others.  The other morning a woman at my local rec center said we better hurry or, "We are going to have a black president."  I was stunned for a moment.  I whispered my promise in my head, but I wasn't sure what to do without just having a lecture.  Yes, I am sadly oriented that way.  I looked at her, with some arched-eyebrow and asked, "Why?"  She told me she wasn't ready for one yet.  "Hmmm, " I said.  That was it!??? I didn't defend the defenseless, I didn't put her in her place like I see in the movies.  I was stumped and that is all I said.  As I sat in my car, a dozen other helpful comments came to my head.  (That's too bad.  Or, I voted for him.)  Those all would have been good starts.  Why is it so much harder in real life?  I was terribly disappointed in myself.  I felt like I would have been a zombie for intolerance like anyone else.  Definitely, it was a human, eye-opening day.   

Comments

J-E said…
Very sad and upsetting. I always think people like that can't exist anymore, but obviously they do. Sorry you couldn't think of anything to say back.
Joanna said…
I don't know. I sometimes think that a well-placed "why" can be extremely effective as a way to make another person reflect a little. I have also discussed with other (regarding feminism) that there are those that when lectured or confronted become even more adamant, instead of even listening to what you have to say. That's not to say that we don't all want to have the perfect comeback, but just to say that sometimes a softer questioning and disagreement can be even more effective. So, I guess I want to say kudos to you for even making a comment. Too often I just change the subject or don't respond.
Mary Morris said…
I've had just a few moments like that when I'm partially so stunned, that my brain stalls because it is still processing what I just heard. Unfortunately, I've had these moments with other members of our faith, with whom we usually connect.

I do have to say that there was a time I spoke up in a relief society lesson in which the teacher said something along the lines of women need to get over it and men just don't need us, they have the priesthood. Somehow I managed to spit out something semi-coherent, and the teacher turned a corner and was NOT offended. But I have had times when I just didn't know what to say.

(Sorry about the mormon lingo, non-mormons, if there be any.)
Laurie said…
Kate-
I agree with Joanna--at least you asked "Why?" and thought there was something wrong with the statement the woman made. How many others would have remained mute?Personally, I'm not a fan of Obama (or any of the current candidates on either side of aisle), but to discount him based on skin color is so 1962 Mississippi that I would have probably moved beyond speechless to having my jaw drop open in disbelief--at least you weren't the gaping idiot I would have been. Is it such a startling concept to choose a candidate based on the issues rather than who is female or black or Mormon or Baptist or whatever. Every time I think we have grown into an enlightened society, someone seems sure to drag me back down to reality. Do you wonder if some of those people realize what they've said and how it sounds and wish they could take it back? I sure hope so.
Katydid said…
I have been challenged by my hairdresser to go back and tell her she was unprofessional. Scary!

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence