Have we arrived at "Grown-up Land" ?

Yesterday was Thanksgiving. After escaping years of cooking, I was stuck with turkey duty. This has never been part of my plan. I felt I had nothing to prove by making a turkey. However, the serious facts of life required a turkey to be made or a visit to the local buffet to be done. With much apprehension, I enlisted the help of every adult in the home. My husband was clearly informed that he held the same information that I did. Hence, he would be required to be fully "on deck" with the rest of us.

Preparation of the stuffing was hilarious. Stuffing is serious business in my family and I have carefully avoided it for decades. After faithfully following my mother's directions, I was sure we had been deliberately led down a false path. How bitter?A beyond belief, kind of bitter that makes you squish up your face and shake your head with a wincing look. Of course, my sister said we had to use sage in the non-powder form. Clearly, that was the problem. We used ridiculous amounts of sugar and broth to counter the bitter sage taste. I shook my head and wondered if there were other cooking conspiracies ahead. After many frantic calls to neighbors/ family and with the help of butterball.com a reluctant bird was stuffed into the oven. Who would have known the preparations of the bird felt somewhat graphic and included stuffing a carrot up its arse? (so to speak) Frankly, I didn't have the courage to pull that thing out. Yet, despite my fears, the stuffing was almost as good as moms and we even enjoyed leftovers for many days. However, I will still welcome anyone who wants to cook to do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence