Tap, tap sneeze


I have been volunteering in my son's room at school. Years ago, I was dismissive of elementary teachers. I did not think that type of work would be enjoyable or demanding. However, my work required me to supervise and observe elementary teachers. Thereafter, I quickly learned how much an elementary teacher needed to know. I realized that these teachers had to be aware of multiple topics and disciplines. It switched to a realization that it was an incredibly difficult job.
Once I had my own children in school, I started volunteering. There, I discovered the power of a young learner. Every child wants success and opportunity. I was accustomed to either blank, bitter stares of students taking pre-algebra for the fourth time or to kids thinking "what hoop is it this time?" Instead, I saw smiles, hope and interest. It was amazing. I wondered how I had never known of this world before. My son's teacher is kind enough I get to teach the class for 20 minutes sometimes or run small groups. I have felt so energized, I considered how long it would take to become certified for elementary school.
A few weeks later, I was working with a small group to practice new words. We huddled together and tried to make bigger sentences. That day, as we worked, the kids kept tapping me on the arm. Tap, tap teacher, Tap, tap, teacher.....I was not used to so much touching. It was like the same mom, mom, mom moments at home without the biological love to back me up. The room was a little warm and the smells were stronger than usual. Not everyone has the same concept of personal cleanliness. At the end of group, a girl sneezed. How did I know that? My face, neck and arm were all wet. She did not excuse herself or say much. For the moment, I paused my dreams and let them settle back to the hinterlands.

Comments

Unknown said…
I love it! Thanks for the laugh Kate. And for using the word hinderlands... how cool is that?
Katydid said…
Thanks for the shout-out. However, I realized I should have spelled hinderlands like the german it comes from :) oops.
ruth said…
great post. i subbed for 1 day in first grade and 1 day in 2nd. first was way harder. everything you describe is spot on:smell, cleanliness, touching, etc. (shudder)
Katie said…
Thanks for the laugh. It's all that and more. For the record, I would be terrified to teach middle/high school.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence