Ach du lieber do you speak French?

I've been doing the same-old kind of thing which many moms do. Laundry, carpool, ballet, piano, homework, cooking and paying the bills. My hip has been so sore, I now I have not run for over six months. My usual outlets have been removed. It has been difficult to replace that relaxation I crave. Two months ago, I signed up for a local German class. It has been so much fun. I am relearning things I thought I had forgotten. While doing ordinary household jobs, an old phrase will just pop in my head. I come home from class and feel almost as relaxed as I did from running.
I have learned some things from this experience. First, one can relax even taking a class. I think I find this relaxing because I am exercising something. Clearly, I am not used to using my brain anymore because I found it to be so much fun. Secondly, I can only handle one additional thing in my life. It is not the time to get accredited in something. I am only able to do the homework for this class as well as my usual stuff. Thinking maybe I had some language skills or something, I don't know what I was smoking, I got a cd with simple French songs. I somehow thought I could do my errands in the car and pick up some basic words. Quickly, I learned that French words are swallowed and said in the back of the throat. Despite my repeat rehearing of these charming tunes I can only tell you that camel is chamelle. See how incredibly different and bizarre that word is? For a moment, I thought maybe I could study Japanese or Russian. I will now accept my fate and keep to my quasi foreign language I learned when my brain was still more plastic.

Comments

Julie Ramsay said…
Its so hard to juggle things into our lives...especially if its for ourselves. I can only do one thing at a time too...ugh
Jason said…
wow Kate. I love the idea of a class relaxing you. What a gift. You have always been a great motivator to me of making something your own in motherhood, thanks. I admire your brains! I am so sorry about your hip. I literally don't know what I would do in your situation besides go crazy. xo-Jen
oh tee hee--french is mental i love it. Get "drive time French" from the library--it's a listening only program and you will remember how smart you are. Deutsch is still the most fun of any language i have learned, especially since i got to SYL with my cool roomies. How can you beat a word like "staubsauger?"
love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence