Duh, losing


I have never been a big fan of Two and a half men. I find the show tasteless. Much of reality tv has a sameness to it I do not find interesting. I despaired after reading this take on current (contains not nice words) culture. So, now we are in the post-Empire world. As bleak as I felt post-modernism was/is, I was downhearted to read what WE want. According to this article, we want raw, unapologetic "artists". It goes on to describe how Eminem has courage to talk about wanting to kill his wife, while Bruce Springsteen is so Empire.
I'm wondering what this says about how we process emotional struggles. Am I to understand that real people are beautifully open when they are violent, dishonest and dismissive of most others? Am I to accept that today's "culture" is really the TRUTH? Instead, I think we are in an age of artificially pumped up anger, violence and sexuality. Everyone seems to be searching for their ten seconds of fame...usually through shocking displays of misbehavior. Yet, we grow numb and more easily bored. The news blips quickly through international events and then dwells on the details of a movie star shoplifting. We have links on facebook, tv websites or magazines which tell us how to buy or find what a star has.
It makes me feel like a Sneetch. Other times, it crosses my mind that we are in Fahrenheit 451. We are the people who don't care about reality. Instead, we are hoping to have a bigger wall to watch the entertainment. It is probably a little hypocritical to write this in an open forum on the web. Doesn't this mean I am trying to be some sort of internet celebrity? (Well, more than 5 would have to read it.) I want to share thoughts, know of the events of other countries. I want to be left pondering by artistic endeavors. I want courage to be civil, to be humane or to be forgiving. I don't want to worry if I need to rip the star of someone's belly.

Comments

mindy said…
You speak the truth. Amen sister:)
Jason said…
how did I miss this post? I agree with you about our culture. But I do think there is a lot of good, interesting, cool stuff that doesn't make the news. I also don't completely buy that "we" want all the violent/lame entertainment. Who is watching it? The rest of us need to speak up! I agree with the 451 reference. It is downright eerie to compare Bradbury's world to now. Good food for thought. And I am going to email a few networks tonight.
Jason said…
Sorry...really is Jen
Lisa said…
Yes! Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books and I talk about it a lot on my (ironic) online class and I see its images EVERYWHERE in our culture today. Great post! What pop culture teaches us about "how we process emotional struggles. . ." I never thought of it that way. Good stuff.
Mary Morris said…
In Freudian terms, today says Id is in and Superego is out.... Sounds like regression not progression to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence