Stroll down pain lane

While strolling through my favorite blow-some-money-wonder-where-it-went-store (Target), I blankly smiled at some twins as I walked by them. Suddenly, their faces were clear to me in a flash. I recalled their names, personalities and the time of day I knew them. A long time ago, I taught in less than ideal circumstances. It was a trial of FIRE I tell you. Kids came in high after lunch, some were on parole. Many of them acted like they had never sat and learned. These twins exasperated me. I didn't have much control and was glad when the year with them ended. I picked myself up and tried to be a better teacher. No, they didn't apologize when they graduated and I never grew to love them. I would not describe them as my arch-enemy. Yet, my brain did say oh the "_______ twins" from 5th period! That was over 15 years ago!
Immediately, I checked myself in a full-length mirror. I wanted them to know I had moved-on. I was happy and not in some kind of therapy for "has been" pre-algebra teachers. Hair in headband not in a ponytail-check, collared shirt-check, shorts instead of sweats-check, baby looking clean-kind of. Whew! Clearly I am over my early failings and functioning like an adult. Much later, I realized, I'm sure they have changed a lot. They were there with babies too. But, as I saw them again, I did not rush over and chat. I turned my head and walked out of the store. It made me chuckle. Because what was huge to me, was probably not big to them. Most of us regret things we did when we were younger. The same is probably true of them. I probably would have walked over there hoping to somehow close things and they would have said, "What was your name? Man, that class was crazy!"

Comments

Scott-n-Allison said…
Because I live in the area where I grew up, I substitute at the high school I attended...with the teachers who taught me. I also attend church...with the ladies who were my Beehive leaders and Laurel advisors and YW presidents. With the men who were my Sunday School teachers.

I still pray every time I see them that they don't remember me as a youth and the things I did that were less than flattering.

But who are we kidding.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence