Love hurts

I have been cleaning while listening to a cd about babies. The author explains how his wife never looked as beautiful as she did while giving birth. As Mother's Day was here, I thought I would be obtuse and ask my husband if he held the same sentiment. Really, why do we do this? "Does this make me look fat? How do these pants make me look?" Or, the best, "Do you like this haircut?" So, I pushed and pulled wondering how my husband perceived this day. " Maybe husbands need to see their wives looking different to look beautiful. I always find you radiant," he said. And on it went, until in a nutshell, it really was more like "you looked like hell and totally relieved to have that baby out of there." I realize I was stupid for placing my husband in one of those dammed if you do and dammed if you don't scenarios. I just wanted the truth. I got it. We laughed at how ridiculous I was--yet I think I was definitely looking for the lie. I really hate how I thought I was low maintenance. But, I am the opposite. I am that emotional lie-to-me and coddle-me kind of lady! You ask enough ridiculous questions and you find out the truth about yourself.

Comments

ruth said…
who doesn't want to be found attractive? Especially by the one person in the world it really matters too. You've got 4 kids hanging on you all day who do nothing to make you feel pretty. I'm as low maintenance as they come but i still like to hear i haven't completely gone to pot. especially as i get older and my body changes.
secondly, that author put that in as a plug to his wife. no woman looks beautiful giving birth. that would be like saying you look good while taking a crap.
Julie Ramsay said…
I wish my husband would lie to me too :) Kate you're gorgeous!
Unknown said…
Thanks for the laugh Ruth! I have to agree with you. I wish my husband had a 6th sense to know when I need him to sugar coat and when I need the absolute truth. Sometimes he just doesn't know what to say. Poor husbands, and poor us too! Good thing there are loads of good things about marriage too. xo
J-E said…
Someone actually said that? Was he lying? After labor, my husband's comment was succinct: "I didn't take any pictures after all; you wouldn't want to see them anyway." I'm pretty sure I was not beautiful--though he did tell me it was strongest he'd ever seen me. Strong does not equal beautiful, though.
Scott-n-Allison said…
Maybe they accidentally gave the morphine and epidural to the husband instead of the wife. People say all sorts of crazy things while on drugs!

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence