Boogers, bawling and brevity

Although my children are getting older, I still like to sneak up and cuddle them while they sleep. I watched my five-year-old fall asleep as I cuddled him. I couldn't believe how big he is becoming. These were the same hands I held each night when he was in NICU. The dimpled, fat hands have been replaced with mud, cuts and nails that need clipping. If a genie lamp had been there at that very moment, I would wish to hold each child as a young baby for one more long time. As I sat there pondering the brevity of it all, I got weepy. I have tried to relish my time as a mom, yet it can be so fleeting. Tears were quietly falling on his blanket as I looked at him. Suddenly, he turned gave me his firecracker smile and started picking his nose. Did he know just what I needed to stop crying? Yup, I got up, removed my hands and got on with my life.

Comments

Carolyn said…
My baby graduated from high school this week. Yep, I'm a bit weepy.

I emailed a baby photo of the graduate to his Dad. He replied: "What a cute kid. Too bad there's no pill to give them that would turn them into babies again for just a few hours."

There are parents around the globe who wish for that genie lamp of yours.
mindy said…
Ahhh, how sweet---boogers and all!
J-E said…
A woman in my RS said the same thing when I was still pregnant and hadn't held my own child. I was shocked--who would want to still hold their babies? It sounded so "motherly" to me and baby hungry. Well...two nights ago, I realized that A. is getting too big to curl up on my chest like he did when he first came home. He doesn't fall asleep on me like he used to. I started to cry and realized I wanted to hold him again as fresh newborn from the hospital. So lately, I hold him for a bit longer after a late night nursing session. Sometimes we both fall asleep in my big chair, and I wake up an hour later with his head on my shoulder. It's nice. :)
moma sneddon said…
And as a grandmother you still want to hold them! Now I have the love with grand children, but it doesn't remove the pleasant memories I still have of my own children. How I loved to view them in bed asleep. What is it about a sweet little one holding a favorite blanket and sound asleep?

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence