Seven weeks


I have been out of the game for a while. I confess that having a lot of small children just keeps me out of the loop. Yet, others seem to blog, twitter and do what not with their young. Eventually, I played with the idea of shutting down my blog because I wanted to be more present with my children. My blog is not a job. However, for the moment, it still provides an outlet for me.
Seven weeks ago, I had a new baby, some may want to hear the short story. It is good for me to record it. I have had a lot of drama at birth with NICU. This time, I wanted a peaceful event. I read all sorts of birthing books including several that were Hypno-birthing. I wanted to sit in blessed silence and "breathe" my baby down the canal. However, I knew I would not sit in the midst of singing/guitar playing women or keep my placenta for the freezer. I do draw the line between natural and funky.
Late, the night I was due, I had my daughter paint my toenails, packed my bag and took a shower. Because I was in denial about early labor, I went to read a book. Trying to balance denial and reality, I covered my head in pillows and tried to sleep. Later, my husband questioned if I were in labor, I told him, "50-50." I had known for two hours I was in labor. I just hate midnight deliveries. Twenty minutes later, he exclaimed "I can hear you breathing!" (My relaxation technique.) I mumbled I was heading to the couch to relax. In my head, I thought "No midnight babies! I will just force my body to relax until morning." Five minutes later, my water broke just like the movies. I had always been curious how that felt. "Dude, I think we need to get to the hospital."
We calmly drove to the hospital, met the midwife and started the work. I paced the room like a wild animal, not sure how I wanted to do it this time. As usual, my delivery was active and loud. I kept apologizing to the midwife for being so ear-piercingly vocal. She told me my method seemed more natural. I would love to say it was beautiful and we wept for the miracle of it all. Instead, I screamed, sweated and whimpered a bit. However, we did it! Our fourth was born healthy and strong!
The next morning, I wondered why my throat was sore, but I had a cute, hairy baby there to remind me. If I give birth again, it will be to a monkey. I did not know babies could have hair on the front of their thighs. Clearly, he is mine. More revealing to me, was how calm I felt. This was the miracle birth I wanted. Weeks later, it made cry to reflect upon our blessings.

Comments

mindy said…
What a beautiful baby and beautiful story on how he arrived! Thanks for sharing.
Unknown said…
Please don't stop blogging! Even if your entries become few and far apart. I love to read your take on our world. Thanks for sharing the story Oliver's birth. He is beautiful!
Lisa said…
Congratulations! I love how honest you are in what you want and what it was like. It's touching and real, which makes the account sound so special. I love it! And your children are GORGEOUS!
M+J=K3+E said…
He is such a handsome little boy. Glad this birth was without the awful events surrounding your other kids!! P.S. Don't stop blogging, you give me my laughs all the time!!

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence