Bonfire of Vanity

Last year, as 39 crept into the door, I purchased an internet deal on facials. No big deal. I was feeling the quiet tickle of old-age on my face. Chemical peels seemed to be the answer. One year later and I had finally got around to redeeming the specials. I hate wasting money more than age spots. Having done this before, I was looking forward to a dark room and pleasant smelling stuff on my face. At the time, it did not concern me that I had a different esthetician. Sure, it burned a little more. It was probably working. During the weekend my face went from red like a sunburn to "who drug your face behind a skateboard?" I hunkered at home like a pimply thirteen-year-old.
That Sunday, I was in charge of getting the children to sing loudly for Father's Day. No sweat, they always sing so cheerfully for me. In addition, I knew my local gathering of church goers was going to realize I was pregnant. (Yeah, did I mention I was pregnant?) This perfect storm of self-pity erupted in pathetic sobs of loathing in my bedroom. I was NOT, repeat NOT going to church. I knew it would be cowardly to not go. But, oh how angry I was at myself. I sat here crying because I was dreading leading a choir with my scab face and fertility bump. All over the world women deal with infertility, violence and poverty. Me? Funeral sobs over looking like an idiot.
Finally, I put on enough foundation to make a drag queen proud--it was difficult to not furiously scrub it off. I held my head low, ducking between my big hair. I avoided conversations all day long. It was ended by my immediate exit to the car. Yeah, who says teens are the only emotional goof balls out there?

Comments

MARCIE said…
I wanted to tell you how great I think you are doing as Primary Song Lady. You really are great at it!
M+J=K3+E said…
I bet you are awesome as a choir lady :) and congrats on being pregnant. You always look too freakin good to be pregnant. Hope all is going well!!!
Carolyn said…
Um, NO, you did not mention that you are pregnant. Big Congratulations on that!
L said…
Well wahoo on the pregnancy and hope you're feeling great!
Lisa H
Scott-n-Allison said…
I can't wait for my perfect, celestial body...and like an impatient child, I want it NOW!

Congrats on the baby...how wonderful that it will come to a family as wonderful as yours!
Mary Morris said…
Ummm ... Where's the photo??

(Yes, that was sassy, but wow, I am curious about that facial from your descriptions)
Julie said…
Congratulations on the pregnancy!!! So how is your face feeling now? I have thought about doing one of those to get rid of all the pregnancy marks that are left on my face from having 6 kids.
Congratulations on the new baby!!! I do so love babies.

And I can relate on the facial thing. I went to the dermatologist last year to have a "few" little cysts lasered off my face (apparently no one else notices them, but they bug me)...well...50 cysts later I looked like I had chicken pox all over my face and it stayed like that for a week. Thank goodness I can work from home anytime I want to, because I was not as brave as you and I became a hermit until the scabs went away.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Truth and Consequence