George where are you when I need you?

I would love to say I have been so busy! Really, I contemplated topics on health care, modesty and middle-age. Alas, nothing felt sharp. Instead, I am going to share a shame, a blight on the level of detail worthy of Seinfeld. I was not much of a facebook person. My brother encouraged me to do so and it looked fun. I have enjoyed connecting with lost roommates, old friends and such. But, I am not always into the facebook "whoring" of some or the odd people who ask me to be friends. Really you want to be my friend? A while back a friend of mine, from my early days in church Sunday School became my friend. Later, his sister and mother became "my friends". Whatever, I thought, they are from my hometown. So, I let them be my friend. This is why FB can feel just wrong.
Somehow, in this world of electric connections and small worlds, I figured out my original friend was no longer my friend. Already, I am a bit hesitant to share this, it really got to me. My husband assured me that it was an electronic glitch. I kept checking back every few days to make sure I was no longer his friend. For pete's sake I thought, he has invited me to a few causes, I didn't respond. I checked some of his friends lists. There were clearly bigger rollers (ie people with over 500, yes 500 friends). I am sure those big rollers don't respond to him. Did he get offended by my comment that my mailman was hot for me? The more I analyzed , the more George Kostanza and I had a partnership. My husband suggested I email him. Sheesh, just be pathetic now I thought. I really would like to know. But, I have my pride people! My pride! Honestly, I always worry I am a crappy, lame, no fun-to-get-to-know-person. So that went well. I have moved on--as you can clearly read.

Comments

Julie Ramsay said…
I agree with the love/hate thing with facebook. I also don't want people to defriend me because I don't accept any game invites from them but I don't have time for those things. I think you are hilarious and one of the most fun people I know of all time!
Mary Morris said…
I must not be up on Seinfeld, because I don't get the George connection. Maybe you can bring me up to speed sometime.

Still not on Facebook.... We'll see if I ever cave in. ;)
Unknown said…
Ha! You make me laugh Kate! Facebook whoring! FYI The only people I "unfriend" are people who post things like 27 times a day. How annoying is that?
Carolyn said…
Unfortunately, I have watched more than my share of Seinfeld episodes (my husband owns the whole series) and I completely understand the George connection..A huge feeling of discomfort about awkward social situations. I hate that feeling, which is why I rarely enjoy watching Seinfeld.

Let yourself at least get some rest over the "crappy, lame, no fun-to-get-to-know-person" worry. That may describe George, but that in no way describes you. And I've known you since as long as we can both remember.
Katydid said…
Mary, George & the rest of the cast spend large amounts of time worrying/talking about "nothing". Which was true with me. In addition, he has a particular social awkwardness to him.
Scott-n-Allison said…
I signed up for FB and now never check it...too much stress deciding who to add and who not to add as friends. I don't want to offend, but don't care about much of what people are writing about. Besides...pick up the phone and call me if you want to know what I'm doing! Sheesh!
Mary Morris said…
Ha, I just reread your entry, and now I get what you are saying. For some reason, the first time I scanned through it, I thought you were referring to a specific episode or something (and I haven't seen tons of Seinfeld to know specifics).

Oh, and if we were doing a family casting of Seinfeld, you would be Elaine, James would be George, Nathan would be Kramer, and David would be Jerry. Ha Ha.
Blondie said…
Hey, could be worse. I just realized I've been unfriended on FB by a member of my immediate family. RUDE!

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence