The Devil Inside

I am not a good person, ask anyone.  I do not possess inherent goodness.  According to Anne of Green Gables, I'm more like the person who could be wicked and isn't. I don't feel much different than any ordinary person who makes bad choices.   Perhaps,  I should explain. When I wake up in the morning, I don't sigh to myself and say, "hmmm, I need a beer or maybe I will fornicate."   However, I don't fear or shake from the concept of sin.  I just choose not to do it. Yet,  I can see how those foolish choices entice people.  Wouldn't it be a release to just say everything I thought or have some incredible anger tirade?  Or,  maybe it would be good to just be snide or openly jealous. You know,  think of any number of human desires and just give in to them.  For me, it is more about choices than desire.  

That's what I mean, I fight the devil inside all the time.  The larger concepts of grand theft auto, drunkenness or immorality do stop me. Yet, once the most base of human desires are channeled to something else, the evil pops up in small things. For example,  the traffic monitor near our house flashes if one speeds. Sometimes, I can't stand it. I just step on the pedal to see how fast it will flash. I can be petty and jealous.  When the museum sign says don't touch, I touch it.  Actually, I'm learning to stick my hands in my pockets.   In my head, I do make-overs of people I see in public.  I raise my eyebrow, but keep the rude comments inside.   After I get angry and mutter unkind things to myself, I try to think of reasonable excuses for the error a person just made.   

For all two of you who read this, no need to assure me that I really am good. (Or, am I really lying to myself that would happen?)   Let's admit it.  Some of you must deal with the most primitive of people on a regular  basis.  But know this.  We know there is a devil inside.  We just don't shake hands with him...at least not usually. 

Comments

Joanna said…
No assurances! I just wanted to let you know that I love it when you raise your eyebrow instead because I have the same kind of nature and I know exactly what you are thinking! Why is it that I just can't be naturally sweet? Did you know that, to this day, my Mom is still worried about my sarcastic nature? Sigh.
J-E said…
My comment is to assure you that there are more than two people reading your blog, and I won't condescend to tell you that you're naturally sweet. On a side note, I think the most primitive of people are skulking around in the bodies of 14 year-olds--not all, just some I know.
Carolyn said…
I could easily argue that you do possess inherent goodness. The evidence is splattered all over your blog posts (and probably throughout the letters you wrote to me when you were 12). But you said you don't want that. Instead, I'll just say this:

The character described as "could be wicked but isn't" was considered to be much more interesting than the fellow who was just plain good. The key is the "but isn't" part.

It says something about your character that you see why something is enticing but choose not to do it. (i.e. it takes more strength to turn down a cigarette if you want one than if you think cigarettes are nasty)
Katydid said…
Paul wondered what caused this entry. Maybe some background here. I had a day where I realized I will always be fighting me. I don't think goodness will ever just naturally ooze from me.
Carolyn said…
I think my response was maybe a bit too serious for a blog post comment. But I assure you, it was not nearly as serious as my first attempt that I deleted. That one included a scripture, I kid you not. ... Here's wishing you more days when you don't feel that fight going on.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence