Europe 2

Our first big train ride. Our crap sits in a big pile.



The view from our vacation house!




Where have we been? First note to those who take kids on international trips: plan it, cut it in half and slim it again--you will be just right. We saw far less of Munich than I planned. However, our kids had a great time with their German cousins. The best time we had was playing rock band. Some of them looked ready to go on tour. Our first international train ride became a good test of our packing and grouping skills. I did insist on a direct train to Switzerland. Yet, it was still a challenge to get all together on a train. As we rounded the lake where I lived 20 years ago, I felt a little emotional. It was just plain pretty to the family.
We were picked up in a small town by a typical swiss-farm house frau. Of course, it required two cars. Her husband, Ernst, picked us up in a stinky cow car with no seat belts. It did have bungee cords....Jam kept looking at me as the rain came through the roof. I smiled and told her it would be short ride. We settled into a wonderful typical Appenzell Swiss home. It looked out upon green meadows and cows with bells. Unbelievable! To get to church, mom and I had to take a 20 minute hike through meadows over-looking a small village. Thereafter, we took a train. As we rounded the corner to church, we heard bells and watched the sun shine so bright. It was the Switzerland of my dreams. I had to swallow and do that sun squinty thing to not get weepy. I loved seeing how people had changed and grown. Some changes were good--others were sad.
That afternoon, we hiked around Ebenalp. We happened upon traditional alp horns and yodelers. We couldn't have experienced a more perfect intro to my favorite country. Later in the week, we have seen water falls and did a barefoot hike. The hike was high in the mountains with soft grass and a stream to cross. We wandered along with young school groups. Such delightful Family Von Trapp hiking. I can post more pictures of our adventures. But aren't those kind of pictures boring for others? I don't know.

Comments

Unknown said…
wow! what fun adventures! I would love to see more pictures, not boring at all for me. xo
Carolyn said…
Thanks for writing about all the tiny details. I can picture it all, even without your photos, but would love to see more.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence