Arcade games and the SATs

In one of my favorite tv shows of all time, News Radio, the very smart hyper prepared Lisa Miller can't do a word jumble. She wonders if she is losing her smarts:

Lisa Miller: Well, it's finally happened.
Dave: What?
Lisa Miller: I'm becoming stupid.
Dave: You don't say?
Lisa Miller: The brain starts to deteriorate after age thirty.
Dave: Where did you hear that?
Lisa Miller: I don't remember... See? See?

Her solution is to eventually retake the SATs to prove to herself she is not stupid. The episode also involves arcade games and a sandwich machine...but I digress. Ever since I had the fourth kid or the "I turned forty, wow even", I have been noticing leakage. My brain is just weird. I'll be talking to the kids and lose my train of thought. I am not in the middle of a college lecture. Nope, it is more like "how did that sucker get on my butt. We really have to.....what was I saying?"

I recently read a story (fiction) about a famous professor who slowly slips into Alzheimers. She starts forgetting words, simple enough. Later, she gets lost running. I'll tell you when that happens next year. My husband thinks I am joking. I have told him I deeply love him and get a home when I start forgetting where the bathroom is. But to remedy it, I have thought about taking a Calculus class. I am SOOOO rational.

Comments

Unknown said…
how much sleep are you getting? I still blame all my memory lapses and wrinkles on years of lost sleep. :)
Julie Ramsay said…
My brain is also slipping....
mindy said…
I totally agree about the brain leakage...with each child I lost some and now i'm afraid there isn't much left.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence