It's the fall, the fall, this lovely time of year


As much as I love the summer--which I do. I have forgotten the spectacular joy of fall. It has a sense of abundance and reflection that makes me grateful. The light is less piercing, the heat calms down and the nights are cool. The southwest still maintains temperatures in the mid 80's. So, I get the best of all worlds. One bonus from fall is the delightful colors. The sky is bright blue instead of a faded too hot. The grass is recovering from the summer and looks good again. My favorite set of colors is the produce. Right now you can eat corn, peaches, tomatoes, black berries, blue berries and green beans. We have had corn chowder, blue berry muffins, peach cobbler, tomato salad and so on. I have a challenge to anyone who reads this to try a little organic this fall. There are 12 foods that are of most benefit to buy organic. They are:
  1. peaches
  2. apples
  3. bell peppers
  4. celery
  5. nectarines
  6. strawberries
  7. cherries
  8. kale
  9. lettuce
  10. imported grapes
  11. carrots
  12. pears
I know organic is more expensive. However, this is the perfect time of year to eat vegetarian and celebrate what is in season. If you live by a sunflower market, organic is affordable. Just shop on Wednesdays when you have double flyer specials. When I mention affordable, I do have to underline I don't buy bulk or pantry items there. I just buy the produce. It is a small step I am trying to work on.

Comments

Carolyn said…
beautiful ode to fall.
We have our most abundant garden harvest ever and I have loved being out gathering all of the tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, squash, corn, peppers ... Somethings worked better than others (the corn cobs look a bit mutant, as do the peppers).

One question. Where did you get the list of the 12 foods that are of most benefit to buy organic? Benefit nutritionally because the food is best for you, or because the non-organic varieties tend to be more toxic (use the worst pesticides, or whatever)? Not that it really matters. I'm just curious.
I'm all over it! The farmer's marked just makes my skin tingle and we are eating lots o'veggies. Wish we could fatten up like bears right now and then sleep all winter.
: )
Scott-n-Allison said…
Are you a vegetarian now? That's pretty impressive when you're pregnant...that's when all I wanted was red, red, meat.

We've been eating pears out our ears. Yum!
Katydid said…
That list has the most "pesticide-full" produce. Notice they have delicate skin. You probably won't see watermelon on these types of lists.

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence