Independent Woman

My husband is leaving for France on a business trip. He is going to be gone for two weeks. Not only do I expect a fancy French outfit, I expect I will be mopey and sad. I really don't want to be in THAT place. So, I am debating a great road trip. America is in love with a great trip. Isn't that where one finds their soul and purpose in life? However, I will be doing this alone with four kids ranging in age from 9 to 6-months. I'm not sure the nursing baby is going to make it. I thought we would visit where I grew up and go see some friends. It is a slow meandering course which almost goes two weeks. My thoughts so far:

Pros:
I can't wait for life to happen. It is now and can't wait for everything to be just right. If I keep waiting for all the kids to be a perfect age or for my husband to travel less, I might still be typing away thinking thoughts.
I want to focus on my kids and spend significant time with them. I'm too good at being a lazy mom.
It would be fun to make a memory with some painful and silly times.
My kids have never done a road trip of any serious length.
I'm curious if I could do it--if I can be independent.
I'll miss my husband less if I travel.

Cons:
Nursing baby, nursing baby, nursing baby. We will be stuck to his schedule which could really limit any fun we could have. It would almost make it all a moot point. (Not a moo point even if I do drive to Nebraska.)
The fast food gets me sick in about two days.
The fighting, the smells, the long hours.
Being all alone with the kids may be difficult to manage.
Gas is not cheap.
I'm still not really sleeping through the night all the time. It makes for a sleepy driver. How safe is that?

Comments

Mary Morris said…
Or how about a moot point? (I assume you're referencing that Friends episode with Joey..)

We'd love to see you if you did come through the midwest, though. But heavens! You'd die!!! Maybe you could make it to Evanston independently. Or maybe just wait a year or even two. Your world will be so different in just a few years (unless you decide to go for #5 after all). And then you can take the whole brood almost anywhere!
Katydid said…
see, Mary my brain isn't working either--thanks for the typo catch!
ruth said…
I drove by myself to seattle several times a year with little kids, yes even nursing (3 under 3). it was hellish to say the least and there was much screaming and yelling on every side. you might have a better time of it if your 9 year old is a helper. will baby take a bottle? but it was all worth it to me to see family and friends. No matter the age there are pros and cons. sometimes just getting out is worth it even if it sucks.
Julie Ramsay said…
Go Kate Go! YOu could do it! Maybe Nate could fly out and help you drive there? Or someone else. Its no fun being stuck at home...
Scott-n-Allison said…
Come to Oregon...so many pros!
Your kids can play with mine.
We can catch up.
Shorter drive (only 1 day).
Isn't your brother here, too?
We can go to the beach.
I'll show you those donuts fashioned after body parts at VooDoo.
The list goes on.
Erin said…
I think all of your pros and cons are spot on. Good luck. I can't wait to hear what you decide. If you end up coming East maybe we'll go west and meet you.
Mary Morris said…
Maybe pick up Jannene in Cheyenne?

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence