Shut er down!


We decided to get out of the house this weekend--finally! We went to a local Christmas lighting ceremony. There was free hot chocolate and ice skating. What fun. As I had a very young baby, we set ourselves down to watch the older kids skate. Since I had recently lost some weight, it sure seemed cold that night. Although I was outfitted in my thickest coat, hat and snowboarding gloves, I could not stop shivering. I tried doing a small dance to stay warm. I drank hot chocolate. Alas, it was useless. I needed to get some warmth. After loading myself and the wee ones in the car, I thought to myself, "Sheesh that was cold! With the wind and cold, what must it be? 15 degrees? Maybe 20?" I excitedly looked over to check the temperature to gauge how much of a hardship I had endured. I scratched my head, 38 degrees? Not even at the freezing mark? For years, I have read books about ascending Everest. Someday, I imagined myself there. Yup, I canceled my mythical journey to Everest right that night. It's over! I will settle for closing my eyes and pretending I am ascending the top of the great peak.

Comments

mindy said…
We all can't climb Everest or there wouldn't be anyone left to watch the discovery channel specials...
Unknown said…
Hey Kate-
What was the humidity? It is a balmy 42 today in NC and it feels like 20. Sorry about losing the dream. I also have given up on mountaineering in general, running Boston also. I dream now of blue warm water and silence. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Delirious Dreams of a Fat Chick

Bonfire of Vanity

Truth and Consequence